Monday, January 21, 2013

OpenWRT for wrtu54g-tm

For years now, I have not been able to put OpenWRT on my WRTU54G-TM router (http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRTU54G-TM). This is a special edition router that was available for T-mobile users only about 5 years. It has two Sim card slots and two phone jack slots which made it possible to use a VOIP house phone using through Tmobile. It was only $10 a month. Anyways, because this was such a specialty version of the widely popular WRT54G router, both DD-WRT and OpenWRT did not support it for a long time. Well thanks to the work of a few good folks on the Internet, I think this had changed. First, I found this link last night (http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm) which gives you information about how to install OpenWRT on this router. Then the website's maintainer then pointed me to this link http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/adm8668/generic/openwrt-adm8668-squashfs.bin. This is the snapshot builds of the latest version of OpenWRT and it seems that they plan on supporting this router. It may be an old router with 200 MHz MIPS processor with 64 MB RAM and 8 MB Flash, but it is still kicking and supports 802.11g which is all I need. To install simply download the squashfs file (openwrt-adm8668-squashfs.bin) and you can upgrade using the Linksys Firmware upgrade webui. Afterwards, you just point your browser to 192.168.1.1. The default login for OpenWRT has no password for root user. You can find more information about first login here (http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin). By default, wireless is disabled but it's easy to turn on by following directions on OpenWRT website. Also, when selecting a channel for the wifi, I recommend a channel that is not crowded ( I personally used channel 3, because channels 1, 6, and 11 tend to be the most crowded in my area). Also do not choose the "auto" option because that will not work (it took me about 2 hours to figure that out). Anyways, I just wanted to share this on the Internet, I hope that this helps someone else.

P.S. - The Wifi seems a bit unstable with Android devices, I was using Skype on my Android phone and it kept dropping calls every 15 minutes. But Wifi works fine for Netflix, Youtube and other online video sites. Not sure if this is an issue with the driver or not, it may be something out of the control of the OpenWRT team. Well, good luck and I hope it works, if you have any issues you can comment below.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been searching for some kind of confirmation that the voice ports continue to work after this mod - can you confirm this? If it does, do you know if they work if the router is in repeater mode?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I am not sure. I know that T-mobile no longer provides this service and I'm not sure that you can use it with another telecom provider. More information can be found here (http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm) but my guess is that it's probably not working. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee I have this device with firmware version 1.00.25. When I try to upgrade the firmware from the WebUI, it complains invalid file (after clicking on the Upgrade button). Well, all that is needed is to rename the file to "WRTU54G-TM_v1.00.26.bin"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! for this interesting article, it's really good...
    This post is really Great this is what i am looking for this full of information...
    More info:- Linksys Router Technical Support

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great technical Content with lots of external help. If you face any linksys router issue or need help in understanding any router case than share us on Linksys Router Support Number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I was looking for an Open-WRT for this for a long time. Unfortunately, this model never seemed to have firmware available (hopefully this is for the second edition and not the first). I don't care about the phone ports (although it would be nice to Obihai it and get it working w/ a google voice / gv callback & SIP ;) I need a secure wireless bridge for printing to an old color laser and my old belkin seems to only support WEP :( Unfortunately, the original WRT54G-TM seems to not support wireless bridging ...something I did w/ a linux box back in 01 and the madwifi driver. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete